This was a simple and easy meal that had a nice blend of flavors and just felt wholesome to eat. I think it’s probably a good base recipe: quinoa + veggie + fruit + nut = dinner. I started with a recipe from Quick Fix Vegetarian, and modified to suit the ingredients we had. It isn’t fancy or terribly interesting, but it’s good. I decided to top each serving with a bit of good sharp cheddar cheese (because I love cheese and apples together), but I’m not sure it made that much of a difference. If you are a vegan or watching calories, you could certainly leave it out without much of an impact.
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 T. olive oil
3 scallions, sliced
dash of crushed red pepper
1 bunch chard, stems removed and cut into bite-sized pieces (I added some mixed greens that were in the fridge–baby kale and chard–from last week so they wouldn’t go bad. This recipe can handle more greens if you have some you need to use.)
1/2 cup pecans
1 apple (I used Pink Lady), cut into 1/2 inch pieces
salt and pepper to taste
a few tablespoons of good sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Make the quinoa. Boil the vegetable broth, add the quinoa, turn the heat to low, and simmer until the water is gone.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the scallions, crushed red pepper, and pecans, and saute until fragrant.
3. Add the chard to the skillet and cook until it is starting to wilt. Add the apple and cook for a few more minutes.
4. When the quinoa is finished, add it to the skillet and stir everything together. Taste for salt and pepper.
5. Garnish with sharp cheddar cheese, if desired.
Enjoy! Do you have any delicious quinoa combinations to share?